A tap is a British term for a valve controlling the flow of water, while a faucet is the American equivalent term for the same device.

What are Taps?

picture of a tap

Taps, also known as taps in British English or spigots in American English, are essential fixtures found in homes, offices, and public spaces around the world. They are an integral part of our daily lives, providing us with a convenient way to control the flow of water.

A tap typically consists of a handle or knob that when turned, opens or closes a valve inside the fixture. This valve is connected to the water supply pipes and controls the release of water. Taps come in various designs and styles – from traditional crosshead taps to modern single lever taps – catering to different aesthetic preferences.

What are Faucets?

picture of a faucet

Faucets, also known as taps in some parts of the world, are devices used to control the flow of water from a pipe. They are typically attached to sinks, bathtubs, or showers and come in a variety of styles and designs.

One of the main components of a faucet is the spout, which is responsible for directing the water into the desired location. It can be curved or straight depending on the design. The handles or knobs on faucets allow users to adjust both temperature and pressure.

Faucets can be found in different materials such as chrome, stainless steel, brass, or even plastic. Each material has its own advantages and aesthetic appeal.

Modern faucets often come with additional features like aerators that help save water by mixing air with the flowing stream. Some may also have motion sensors or touchless technology for added convenience and hygiene.

Taps Vs. Faucets – Key differences

TerminologyCommonly used in British EnglishCommonly used in American English
DefinitionValves controlling water flowValves controlling water flow
AppearanceTypically feature a single lever or knob for controlMay have single or double handles for water control
Regional UsagePredominant term in the UK and some other countriesPredominant term in the United States and North America
DesignsMay have a simpler design with a traditional lookTend to have a wider range of design options, including modern styles
Additional FeaturesMay have fewer additional featuresMay offer more features like adjustable water temperature
SpellingTaps" is the correct British English spellingFaucets" is the correct American English spelling


Image Credits

Featured Image By –  Karolina Grabowska from Pixabay

Image 1 By –  Jonas KIM from Pixabay

Image 2 By – Rudy and Peter Skitterians from Pixabay




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

What is the difference between a heater and a radiator

Table of Contents Hide What is a radiator?What is a heater?How do…

What is the difference between cool mist and warm mist humidifier?

Table of Contents Hide TL;DR Cool mist humidifier Vs. Warm mist humidifierCool…

What is the difference between knife and cleaver?

Table of Contents Hide What is a knife?What is the properties of…